Faster video streaming, multi-language soundtracks and caption text, time-based metadata and Chromecast Flash support bring advanced capabilities to video publishers
NEW YORK CITY – Dec. 4, 2014 – JW Player, a leading online and mobile video platform and player technology company, today announced the release of the latest version of its media player, JW Player 6.11. This release of the world’s most widely distributed video player introduces significant upgrades to JW Player’s support for HLS, providing publishers with up to 50 percent faster video streaming capabilities, multi-language soundtracks and captions. In addition, JW Player 6.11 includes support for Chromecast in Flash. These enhancements provide unprecedented video power, speed and capabilities at an affordable price to the mass market of video publishers.
“JW Player 6.11 marks another step forward in our company’s mission to give publishers of all sizes the ability to easily create premium video experiences across all platforms,” said Dave Otten, CEO, JW Player. “With this release, we have significantly upgraded our HLS implementation and expanded our Chromecast support to Flash, which further extends our market leading position in delivering video to mobile, casting and OTT environments.”
New features in JW Player 6.11 include:
- Up to 50 percent faster video streaming playback performance on startup and seeking—increases video engagement, ad impressions and playback completion rates for publishers
- Single video with multiple audio tracks—enables publishers to use the same video with multiple audio tracks to more efficiently distribute their content with a simplified delivery mechanism supporting multiple languages, directors’ commentary, voiceovers, etc.
- Automatic language detection and configuration—detects the end user’s system language providing the available soundtrack and closed captioning for that language
- Time-based metadata—provides publishers with the ability to embed complementary metadata directly into streams, offering support for advanced features like displaying sports scores or providing ad break data in live streams for greater monetization opportunities
- Chromecast support in Flash—allows audiences to easily cast their video from Flash, which publishers can monetize with VPAID interactive ad units in addition to VAST creative
“JW Player’s 6.11 update has greatly enhanced our HLS video streaming,” said JW Player customer Gabriel Nimigeanu of Diginteligencia.com, a leading provider of digital entertainment services for mobile operators in Latin America. “The faster startup and playback speed allow us to provide a much more seamless viewing experience for our audience.”
HLS streaming has become the de facto video streaming solution for content publishers to reach the widest audiences across devices. By integrating the latest HLS protocol version into its solution, JW Player is helping publishers deliver high-end video content across the desktop.
The core features of JW Player 6.11 are available now to all customers of the player’s Free, Pro, Premium, Enterprise and Ads Editions and can be found at www.jwplayer.com.